IMI offers two tracks of training: 1.) Philosophy of Indigenous Education (PIE) and 2.) Montessori training. Each track requires a separate application and tuition. During the academic training year, tracks are interwoven to provide Montessori training through the lens of an Indigenous worldview. The summer training course of PIE is geared to those educators that may not be able to attend PIE in the academic cycle due to being needed in the classroom. Training year 2021-2022 will begin with a summer PIE cohort with session starting in June and running through the end of July 2021. The detailed schedule is posted below.
Academic year (fall) training will begin in August 2021 and graduate in May 2022. In the fall, IMI will be offering PIE, AMI Primary and Elementary Montessori training through partnership with Southwest Institute of Montessori Training (SIMS)
At this time, we are accepting applications for the Summer cohort of PIE and Montessori training in the fall. We will begin accepting PIE applications for Fall 2021 on June 1st, 2021.
Links to apply for each respective training cohort can be found in the below sections.
Click here https://www.sims-ami.org/course_options/primary-training/ to apply for AMI Primary training.
Click here https://www.sims-ami.org/course_options/elementary-training/ to apply for AMI Elementary training.
Philosophy of Indigenous (PIE) – Summer Cohort Apply Now!
The PIE track delivers up to 10 training modules, one in each of the Keres Children’s Learning Center’s fundamental principles. These include:
- Anti-racist, anti-biased training and approaches to education
- Indigenous education models
- Intergenerational learning and teaching
- Indigenous language immersion model
- Indigenous Knowledge systems
- Curriculum design and development
- Education achievement and success
- Culturally Sustaining Pedagogies
Tuition: $3,500.00, payment plans available
Application link: https://forms.gle/1VMMkijTzTnEhyMg9
Fall PIE application available here on June 1, 2021.
Montessori Training Offered through SIMS partnership – Fall 2021
Now accepting Letters of Interest for Elementary Montessori training – submit to email@example.com.
The Montessori training track focuses on developing the whole child in the following areas:
- Montessori philosophy
- Principles of child development
- Grace and Courtesy
- An interdisciplinary approach to the study of:
- geography (geology, chemistry, physics)
- biology (botany, zoology, ecology)
- mathematics (arithmetic, geometry, algebra)
Application Fee: $150.00
Foundation course: $2,000.00 (Pre-requisite course, if applicable)
Tuition: $15,000.00 – Elementary Montessori Training
Tuition: $10,500.00 – Primary Montessori
Primary or Elementary training – Apply here https://www.sims-ami.org/new-mexico/
Learning and Teaching Methods for Both Tracks Include:
- Interactive PIE modules and discussions via Zoom (online learning platform)
- Lectures on Montessori philosophy and pedagogy
- Practice developing curriculum
- Research and assigned readings
- Demonstrations of the use of scientifically designed Montessori materials
- Hands-on practice with the materials
- Classroom observation in Montessori schools
- Student teaching
- Material making and classroom curriculum development
2020-2021 Training Calendar
PIE Professional Development Workshops
If you are an enrolled participant in the PIE training track, Professional Development workshops are included in the cost of PIE tuition. If you are not a PIE participant, there is a separate fee for each workshop.
Information sheets for each event will be posted and distributed as the date approaches. This info sheet will include cost, time, and registration info.
Tentative workshop dates are as follows:
- March 3, 2021
- May 26, 2021
Professional Development Workshops will focus on the following areas:
- Anti-Biased, Anti-Racist Approaches to Education
- Culturally Sustaining Pedagogies
- Indigenous Curriculum Building
- Healing and Historical Trauma
- Language and Culture as Protective Factor
For further information about any of the above listed programs, contact Tracey Cordero at 505-331-1438 or firstname.lastname@example.org.