IMI offers two tracks of training: 1.) Philosophy of Indigenous Education (PIE) and 2.) Montessori training. Each track requires a separate application and tuition. During the academic training year, tracks are interwoven to provide Montessori training through the lens of an Indigenous worldview. The summer training course of PIE is geared to those educators that may not be able to attend PIE during the academic cycle due to being needed in the classroom.
Training year 2021-2022 will offer Spring and Summer PIE cohorts with the Spring cohort starting on January 18, 2022.
The Summer 2022 PIE schedule and application link is now open and posted below.
Each Fall, IMI will offer PIE, AMI Primary and Elementary Montessori training through partnership with Southwest Institute of Montessori Training (SIMS). KCLC-IMI is pleased to be able to offer enrolled members of Tribal Nations scholarships and living stipends to support tuition costs and expenses for those who are accepted to both training tracks.
- Enrolled membership in any Tribal nation
- Acceptance letter to SIMS training course
- Completed PIE application
- Completed scholarship application, released upon request
- 1 Letter of recommendation from Indigenous colleague
IMI accepts Letters of Interest for Montessori training throughout the year. Official applications for the upcoming Fall Montessori training cycle will be available the Spring preceding the Fall start date. Letters of interest should describe one’s reason for wanting to apply along with an expressed intent to apply for the upcoming training year. Letters of Interest may be submitted to Tracey Cordero at email@example.com.
Philosophy of Indigenous Education
The PIE track delivers up to 10 training modules, one in each of the Keres Children’s Learning Center’s fundamental principles. These include:
- Anti-racist, anti-biased training, and approaches to education
- Indigenous education models
- Intergenerational learning and teaching
- Indigenous language immersion model
- Indigenous Knowledge systems
- Curriculum design and development
- Education achievement and success
- Culturally Sustaining Pedagogies
Tuition: $3,500.00, payment plans available
Summer PIE application available here
SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE to Interested Indigenous Folks who enroll in both PIE and Montessori training.
Montessori Training Offered Through SIMS Partnership Alongside PIE Courses – Fall 2022
Now accepting Letters of Interest for Elementary Montessori training – submit to Povi@kclcmontessori.org
The Montessori training track focuses on developing the whole child in the following areas:
- Montessori philosophy
- Principles of child development
- Grace and Courtesy
- An interdisciplinary approach to the study of:
- geography (geology, chemistry, physics)
- biology (botany, zoology, ecology)
- mathematics (arithmetic, geometry, algebra)
Application Fee: $150.00
Foundation course: $2,000.00 (Pre-requisite course, if applicable)
Tuition: $15,000.00 – Elementary Montessori Training
Tuition: $10,500.00 – Primary Montessori
Primary or Elementary training – Apply here https://www.sims-ami.org/new-mexico/
DEADLINE to APPLY is JULY 3, 2022.
Learning and Teaching Methods for Both Tracks Include:
- Interactive PIE modules and discussions via Zoom (online learning platform)
- Lectures on Montessori philosophy and pedagogy
- Practice developing curriculum
- Research and assigned readings
- Demonstrations of the use of scientifically designed Montessori materials
- Hands-on practice with the materials
- Classroom observation in Montessori schools
- Student teaching
- Material making and classroom curriculum development