Montessori Method in Service to the Whole Pueblo Child
At KCLC, we have chosen to use the Montessori Method in service to the Whole Pueblo Child for a variety of reasons.
- It is an education that holds deep respect for the spirit of each child, which mirrors our own cultural beliefs about children.
- It is Indigenous-Language-Immersion friendly.
- We are able to genuinely incorporate our cultural ways and materials.
- There is a deep emphasis on teachers/guides continually looking within so as to be the best they can be for the children
- Children are able to be in an environment where there is freedom of movement and choice of work, are able to follow their interests, learn from older and younger children (multi-age settings), and be in a prepared environment where there is order, beauty and a reflection of themselves.
We want the Whole Pueblo Child to be able to thrive in all situations in which they find themselves and to have the language to be able to do so. That means supporting families in helping their children develop fluency in both Keres and English. The Montessori Method helps us do this in our language immersion settings.